Re: about the debian way

On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 07:07:19PM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 03:22:04PM -0500, christophe barb? wrote:
>
> > I use an old laptop with a not so good ide drive.
> > Each time a soft uses too much the drive, the feeling (responsiveness)
> > of the system is degraded.
> > It not so bad but for some particular cases it's very bad.
> >
> > One of this case is 'find /'
>
> You may want to try:
>
> apt-get install hdparm
>
> and experiment with the settings.  This tuning will often considerably
> increase laptop disk performance and system responsiveness.

Thanks.
I already played with hdparm and I believe I can't do better now.
The major problem is that the swap is used and when find / is running
you really know that the kernel is using the swap. I could add RAM
(which is expensive) or buy a new laptop (which ...) but most of the
time I am more than happy with it.

I am astonished that no one else reported this problem. A 'find /' is
not a small task and with anacron you noticed it automatically when you
power on your machine (you power it on to use it and boom steve is
working too). Perhaps most laptop user don't use anacron and then miss
most of the cron task.

Christophe