Re: about the debian way

On 15-Mar-02, 20:59 (CST), Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org> wrote:
> I do tend to agree that there ought to be a way to disable
> checksecurity without disabling standard.

There is. What Christophe wants is the ability to *schedule*
checksecurity differently from the rest of cron.daily/standard.

>  I'd suggest explaining to the cron maintainer that you can cut/paste
> the lines, but that this particular configuration change is useful (in
> your opinion) to many users and ask why he doesn't think the option
> should be provided.

Because Christophe is the first person in the 6+ years I've been
maintaining cron to ask for this. I'm sure now there will be a huge
demand, and people will claim they can't live without it.

> If the cron maintainer explains why this option should not be given to
> users and you disagree, then send your comments here and copy the cron
> maintainer.

That's exactly what's happened. See bug 138484. Apparently the
suggestion that a user simply edit a file is now considered insulting
and against "the debian way", even though that ability to modify is
considered one of the core benefits of free software. I'll note that the
other respondent to this thread came up with the same suggestion.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland