Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

You would remove Debian from your machines, or you would remove the
package from your machines?

people, you have to understand that at a government facility all of our
traffic can be monitored and we can be held responsible for its content. I
like the Debian distribution alot but without a policy statement it simply
won't be worth the risk when I can use another distribution that is more
careful about its content. I also don't have the time to look at every
message that comes out of every package. As I said, the practical solution
is that I will rely on the social contract.

This is an example of how repressive governments damage their own interests by repressing their population and their employees.

The long term trend of this is that repressive governments will damage their countries by blocking access to technology and governments that are more liberal will benefit.

We've already seen how certain countries are kept in the dark ages by religious fundamentalist governments who ban the free flow of information. Having other governments doing the same thing in the name of political-correctness is an extension of the same principle.

I disagree. Governments are much like businesses in this respect - they must establish some sort of standard of behavior within government facilities just like a business generally wants a standard of behavior followed by its employees (such as not surfing the web for porn at work). A government can regulate itself without repressing the populace in general. That's how it is in my country anyway :-)

-Josh