Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 11:16:19PM -0700, user list wrote:

> I'm posting this here and will cross post this on the project list because
> I think that the program lead should really look at this issue carefully
> and the developers should have a policy along the lines that I give below.

> I'm going to break my comments into pracital and principle issues.

> Practical:

> Let's just say that this is a free-speech issue. The point is that free-speech
> does not reach into institutions. If a racist statement were part of a program
> that communicated with other programs, it would not be allowed on any
> US government machines. It would not be allowed on many corporate machines.
> This is because these institutions hold that the sense of security of its
> members is more important than the First Ammendment. Just as you cannot claim
> First ammendment rights in yelling fire in a theater, you also cannot claim
> those rights if you use racist or offensive language to intimidate others.
> So, if Debian knowingly kept a piece of software that were racist, it would
> be relegating itself to a very minor role in desk-top and work station compu-
> tation. As I said in my first post, I would remove it from all of my machines.
> It would be a very easy decision. I think it would be a real shame if this
> happened because Debian is a real accomplishment.

You would remove Debian from your machines, or you would remove the
package from your machines?

It seems to me that the former is a gross overreaction, whereas the
latter is one of Debian's greatest strengths.  There are lots of
packages in Debian which are not suitable for one type of installation
or another.  Personally (to bring up another favorite flamewar ;), I
think all packages providing vi-style editors are inappropriate for
installation on my machines.  I have machines where GNOME and KDE are
inappropriate because they're too bloated for the hardware; I have
machines where X is not installed because it's superfluous.  And the
great thing about Debian is that, with the exception of vi ;), these are
all optional packages that the admin /chooses/ to install.  I don't see
any reason why it's necessary to apply a different standard to packages
whose content is offensive (whether or not the majority agrees that it
is so), when those packages are also optional.

Don't get me wrong; if I were the maintainer of the package in question,
I would have likewise removed the line from the package.  Whether or not
the statement in question should be considered racist, it's not a brand
of humor I've ever been particularly impressed with, and it's not
something I'm concerned about users "missing out on" if I remove it.

But you'll notice that I don't maintain any IRC-related packages at all,
for the same reason that, if I were an admin at a stuffy corporation
with a strict employee AUP instead of at a laid-back ISP, I wouldn't
allow any IRC clients on the network at all.  IRC is Internet /Relay/
Chat; it's designed for servers to be linked together, it's designed to
be resistant to attempts at control, and unless you're using IRC in
models much different than what it was effectively designed for,
prolonged usage means almost certain exposure to the kinds of people who
get a kick out of 'yo mamma' jokes.  There are plenty of other chat-like
interfaces which I would venture to say are much more appropriate for
use on corporate networks.  But that doesn't mean we should purge
IRC-related packages from our archive; being a "Universal Operating
System", as Bdale argues we should be, means meeting the needs of both
suits and IRC users (though I wouldn't go so far as to say script
kiddies ;).

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer