Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 02:10:46PM -0800, Petro wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 10:04:14AM -0800, Lazarus Long wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 12:47:25AM -0700, Adam Conrad wrote:

b.s.!  making fun of someone else's skin color is patently wrong, and i
don't care how you want to slice it or garnish it with "red herring":

>     Main Entry: rac·ism
>     Pronunciation: 'rA-"si-z&m also -"shi-
>     Function: noun
>     Date: 1936
>     1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits
>     and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent
>     superiority of a particular race
>     2 : racial prejudice or discrimination
>     - rac·ist  /-sist also -shist/ noun or adjective
>
>     and:
>
>     rac·ism   Pronunciation Key  (rszm)
>     n.
>     The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or
>     ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
>     Discrimination or prejudice based on race.
>

>     Personally I find racism--as defined above--to be odious, ignorant
>     and inefficient, but that does not mean that *eveything* that
>     mentions the color of someone's skin is a racists statement.
>
>     You need a thicker skin.

...(i'm gonna let that one pass.)

just because there isn't a "crystalline" standard as to racist
statements doesn't mean that "anything goes."  (even "free speech" has
limits.)

any offical .deb with that type of stupidity is a waste of bandwidth.

> --
> Share and Enjoy.

(thanks anyway.)