Re: ddts: notification about pt_BR-translation of the hello-debhelper description

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 09:49:09PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 12:11:56PM +0100, Nick Phillips wrote:
> > I'd have thought that the current situation re. maintainers putting
> > translations into .debs makes it blindingly obvious that requiring them
> > to do so in order for a translation to become available is a bad idea.
>
> Do package descriptions change so regularly that translated descriptions
> couldn't be submitted through the bug tracking system and included
> in the next upload?
>
> Most of my packages have never had their description changed from
> when I first wrote it. It would be better if we could just include
> translated descriptions in the debian/control file.

See also the other mail: >50 changes in 10 days in main/sid

But if you include the translation only in the debian/control you have
 - delays (maybe we have a override file and can solve this)
 - you will have outdated translations (like debconf now)
 - you must patch dpkg etc. in a wide way

We can include the translation in the package. This is not the
problem, but please not in the control file. The translation is no new
information of the package, it is only a translation. Only a other form of
the orignal text.

Please read the last proposal, I explain a possibly solution in it.

Gruss
Grisu
"We just typed make..."   -- (Stephen Lambrigh, Director of Server Product
                  Marketing at Informix about porting their Database to Linux)