reopening ECN bugreport/netbase

reopen 110862

# Here with I am reopening this bug.
#
# On Sun, 2 Sep 2001 06:31:19 +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
#
# > On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 12:33:35PM +0200, Tomas Pospisek wrote:
# > >
# > > I don't know if this is the right place to assign the bug. Maybe the
# > > right place for this is netbase, ifupdown or kernel-package - I
# > > don't know. Please reassign the bug as you wish.
# >
# > This is certainly not the right place.  Anyway, it's your job to
# > decide, not mine.
#
# As it's up to me to decide: Yes, this is the right place. This *is* a
# bug of this kernel-image package. ECN is *not* a standard setting. It
# is marked experimental and is off by default in the upstream default
# config. The reason for this is wellknown and has been discussed in the
# ECN thread on debian-devel.
#
# I do agree with you that by not compiling ECN into the kernel module
# users will not be able to use it and will have to recompile their
# kernel.
#
# So the problem is upstream - ECN should be either a module or off by
# default even if compiled into the kernel.
#
# A workaround, which would be also to some extend cleaner would be to
# enable or disable ECN in netbase. A patch to netbase has been proposed
# in this same bugreport:
#
#	http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=110862&msg=4
#
# There's a whishlist pending against netbase reporting the same problem:
#
#	http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=98228
#
# So I am going to follow up on that report now, which means that it is up
# to Anthony to hopefully include that patch in netbase allthough it is
# frozen.
#
# *t

     Tomas Pospisek
     sourcepole    -   Linux & Open Source Solutions
     http://sourcepole.com
     Elestastrasse 18,  7310 Bad Ragaz,  Switzerland
     Tel:+41 (81) 330 77 13,  Fax:+41 (81) 330 77 12