Re: Locking of serial devices and devfs

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 02:08:17PM +0200, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> According to Marcus Brinkmann:
> > On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 01:27:59PM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> > >
> > > I think you should try pushing the SVR4 locking standard instead-
> > > don't lock on device name but on major/minor
> >
> > This will not work on the Hurd at all, as the major/minor number pair does
> > not convey any information useful in this context (usually, it is just 0/0).
>
> I was just throwing an idea around, not making a policy request ;)

Of course.  I was just hurrying to not have other people getting bad ideas :)

> On the Hurd, would using the inode number work ?

Yes, but only in conjunction with the st_dev device number (NOT to be
confused with st_rdev ;)

POSIX requires that the pair (st_dev, st_ino) uniquely identifies a file in
the system.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de