Re: Locking of serial devices and devfs

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 01:27:59PM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> In article <[🔎] 01062113085107.16434@lyta>,
> Russell Coker  <russell@coker.com.au> wrote:
> >Here is a bug report that I have just filed against ppp.  I think that
> >the same issue also affects other programs that lock serial ports.  What
> >do you think of my suggested solution?
>
> I think you should try pushing the SVR4 locking standard instead-
> don't lock on device name but on major/minor

Ok, I just read up this part of the thread, and have missed it before:

This will not work on the Hurd at all, as the major/minor number pair does
not convey any information useful in this context (usually, it is just 0/0).

Any locking scheme based on the filename within /dev seems best to me.

ppp is not ported to the Hurd (we are working on a port of BSDs user level
ppp).  But for other programs accessing serial devices, it will be an issue,
and I think it is good to strive for a compatible solution.  However, if
this is not the best solution for Linux, we can just flag it as system
specific and have different policies.  Will requrie more work, though.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de