Unidentified subject!

@212.23.136.22
Cc: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Locking of serial devices and devfs
Sender: Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 01:53:21PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 01:27:59PM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> > In article <[🔎] 01062113085107.16434@lyta>,
> > Russell Coker  <russell@coker.com.au> wrote:
> > >Here is a bug report that I have just filed against ppp.  I think that
> > >the same issue also affects other programs that lock serial ports.  What
> > >do you think of my suggested solution?
> >
> > I think you should try pushing the SVR4 locking standard instead-
> > don't lock on device name but on major/minor
>
> Ok, I just read up this part of the thread, and have missed it before:
>
> This will not work on the Hurd at all, as the major/minor number pair does
> not convey any information useful in this context (usually, it is just 0/0).
>
> Any locking scheme based on the filename within /dev seems best to me.
>
> ppp is not ported to the Hurd (we are working on a port of BSDs user level
> ppp).  But for other programs accessing serial devices, it will be an issue,
> and I think it is good to strive for a compatible solution.  However, if
> this is not the best solution for Linux, we can just flag it as system
> specific and have different policies.  Will requrie more work, though.

Ui, I am slow today (sorry).  If maj/min is absolutely the way to go, there
is also the possibility that we simply set up the maj/min numbers of the
standard serial devices on the Hurd in a way compatible to Linux.  At least
for Debian GNU/Hurd this would be a possibility, and I think I should
mention it.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de