UPSD packages in bad state

Hi

I installed "apcd", but had to go back to an older version. Apparently
the maintainer cannot make it work.

On a new server, I then installed "apcupsd". It cannot shut down the
server. No reaction from the maintainer. There are several unresolved
bug-reports. I've seen that there is a new version, but it is in
unstable.

I then installed "upsd". There is a two year old bugreport on it. It
does not work.

Some nice fellow on the Net recommended "nut" as a nice package. I
didn't find that package in the Debian archives.

I believe that the Debian distribution has a weak point here. A lot of
packages but none of them work...

I run potato, stable.

Ciao
--