Re: UPSD packages in bad state

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, John Plate wrote:

> I installed "apcd", but had to go back to an older version. Apparently
> the maintainer cannot make it work.
>
> On a new server, I then installed "apcupsd". It cannot shut down the
> server. No reaction from the maintainer. There are several unresolved
> bug-reports. I've seen that there is a new version, but it is in
> unstable.
>
> I then installed "upsd". There is a two year old bugreport on it. It
> does not work.
Considering the problems with those packages (and there are some more
which doesn't work with my setup = APC Smart-UPS + 940-0024B cable)
I packaged the smupsd package which is shipped with RedHat and it
worked for me so far.

Anyway this package has also bugs and it is really not in the best state.
It doesn't work on Sparc where I would need it and currently I'm not
able to track down the problem because Sun is unable to solve a hardware
problem on our E250 server since three month (I blame Sun for this).
Moreover it seems to be dead upstream and I would orphan the beast
if I would have a working alternative.

> Some nice fellow on the Net recommended "nut" as a nice package. I
> didn't find that package in the Debian archives.
It is relatively new in testing and I tested it today but fiddling
around and reading docs for two hours didn't helped :-((.

> I believe that the Debian distribution has a weak point here. A lot of
> packages but none of them work...
In my opinion nut is a good package but it should have *working* examples
for some common setups.

Kind regards

         Andreas.