Re: Work-needing packages report for May 25, 2001

>> Sam Couter <sam@topic.com.au> writes:

 > How long do orphaned packages survive? I ask because no one seems to want
 > debauch, it's been orphaned for a long time, and there are better
 > alternatives available.

 My opinion is that we should not have orphaned packages.  At all.  The
 Quality Assurance group should be doing that: providing Quality
 Assurance for the release, instead of maintaining old stuff which noone
 in the project is interested in.  Since that's unreasonable and
 unpractical, and since not all packages are created equal, a line
 should be drawn (ok, two lines): important packages (that is, standard
 and up) should be maintained by the QA team (this does fall into QA's
 job description if you take into account the definition of "standard");
 other packages should stay unmaintained for a reasonable ammount of
 time, after which they get moved to the withdrawn pool[0].  Maintaining a
 package also means *using* it and *noticing* when it breaks, not
 waiting for an RC bug report to come in.  In a manner of speaking, we
 /do not/ want bug reports.  When the bug report kicks in, it's already
 too late.  This is also not practical: you can't ask a maintainer to be
 fully aware of when and how a package breaks (think X), but you want
 him to have the required expertise to fix it (and part of that
 expertise comes from actively maintaining a package).  If a package is
 so great that it won't break (think document) and does't need active
 maintainance...  why hasn't someone picked it up already?  Just
 yesterday I got two mails regarding packages I don't maintain anymore
 because I'm listed as the maintainer for them on some potato CD.  Since
 I *did* work with the packages when they were still useful to me, it
 took me 15 minutes to answer both mails.

 Anyway, the last time this discussion took place we didn't reach any
 agreement other than preserving the status quo.

 > Should bugs be filed against ftp@debian.org to remove packages that
 > have been orphaned longer than some number of days? I believe this
 > has been done in the past as a once-off type of thing, but should it
 > become an automatic thing with each mailout of the wnpp report?

 As other have (or will) pointed out, the problem with this is that
 removing a package is easy (and now easier than ever).  Getting it back
 in is not that easy.  I do admit automatic filing of this kind of bugs
 is a Very Bad Thing(TM).  I wouldn't have a problem with spam^Wsending
 the -qa list a mail saying "hey guys, these packages are *really* old
 and don't have a maintainer, is there a **REAL** reason to keep them in
 the archive?"  But I'm afraid I know the reply each and every one of
 those mails would get...  (hi Adrian ;-)

[0] I don't like the idea of getting completly rid of a package,
    specially if there are changes between the version in the last
    release and the withdrawn version.

--
Marcelo             | "Go ahead, bake my quiche"
mmagallo@debian.org |         -- Magrat instructs the castle cook