Re: women in debian

On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 08:46:07PM +0000, Jutta Wrage wrote:

i've cross-posted this in debian-curiosa instead of debian-devel, since this
is more a curiosa thing than a devel thing...)

> Sorry, but sometimes answers I get from males seem more like that:
> Do I even get it work, what do me care others.
>
> Computers are somewhat technical. And men most times don't want
> someone to see, their knowledge lacks. So they try to keep women
> asking questions away, as it seems to be easier for working with men.
>
> Many men really have difficulties to share their knowledge. And that
> makes it not very easy for women to break into any male dominated
> subject.

my experience here is more on the level of explaining things to women a few
times, then suddenly be hit in the face with "gah, stop explaining! it isn't
interesting!". they're nice people, just not technically interested (altho
they pretended to be interested just to keep the peace, i guess). it *is*
better now than it was 6-7 years ago (when i was like the only geek around
... fun! :), and it's showing signs of getting better by the month (getting
hired in a geek-only company certainly helps :)...

as for those guys who have difficulties sharing their knowledge, is it
because it makes them feel threatened (oh my GOD! a chick interested in
computers! eep!), or is it simply because they suck as a teacher?

> 25 years of experience speaking here.
> But htere is a hope: It's not that bad as it was 25 years ago. Maybe
> in another 2000 years will have overcome. ;-)

25 years of experience, you say? well, even just 7 years ago, being a geek
was Socially Bad (tm), so you can't really count those years nowadays (it's
a whole new world out there).

--
-m

When you are having a bad day, and it seems like everybody is trying to piss
you off, remember that it takes 42 muscles to produce a frown, but only 4
muscles to work the trigger of a good sniper rifle.