Re: netscape directory server, redhat bins, ...

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 11:49:05AM -0800, Philip Brown wrote:
> [ Russell Coker writes ]
> > On 2000-11-13 20:53, Philip Brown wrote:
> > >In some ways, redhat is the "enemy" of debian. If a bunch of very popular
> > >business software runs only on redhat, not on debian, then redhat effectly
> > >becomes "linux" for that group of users.
> > >
> > >It's the microsoft effect. OS Vendor lock-in through crucial apps.
> > >We ARE against that sort of thing, right? :-)
> >
> > Netscape mail server is the one you want to get going on Debian then.
> > Apache  has every desirable feature that's in the Netscape web server.
> > OpenLDAP does  everything that the Netscape LDAP server does.
>
> Incorrect on both counts.
>
> "A simple-to-use (GUI) admin interface" IS a "feature".
>
> apache does not have such an interface
> openldap does not have such an interface.
>
> netscape web server has one integrated (I think)
> Netscape Directory Services has one integrated.
>   [Plus, it works with solaris "ldapclient". The currrent debian
>     openldap server does not]

yes NDS and the iPlanet (netscape) webserver has the interface also.

And guess what, using them every day, the gfx features are not good.
The LDAP depends on LDAP intself from working before you can change/fix
the configuration ;)

Never forget the value of textfile configs :)

--
Peter 'darkewolf' Crystal

email   : darke@debian.org || darke@indigo.net.au || darkewolf@cyberpunks.org
url     : http://cyberpunks.org/darke/homepage.phtml
url     : http://netverse.sourceforge.net/
gpg key : http://cyberpunks.org/keys/darke_gpg.asc

"Abair ach beagan agus abair gu math e."