Re: netscape directory server, redhat bins, ...

[ Russell Coker writes ]
> On 2000-11-13 20:53, Philip Brown wrote:
> >In some ways, redhat is the "enemy" of debian. If a bunch of very popular
> >business software runs only on redhat, not on debian, then redhat effectly
> >becomes "linux" for that group of users.
> >
> >It's the microsoft effect. OS Vendor lock-in through crucial apps.
> >We ARE against that sort of thing, right? :-)
>
> Netscape mail server is the one you want to get going on Debian then.
> Apache  has every desirable feature that's in the Netscape web server.
> OpenLDAP does  everything that the Netscape LDAP server does.

Incorrect on both counts.

"A simple-to-use (GUI) admin interface" IS a "feature".

apache does not have such an interface
openldap does not have such an interface.

netscape web server has one integrated (I think)
Netscape Directory Services has one integrated.
  [Plus, it works with solaris "ldapclient". The currrent debian
    openldap server does not]

I dont need em. But the people I install stuff for, DO.
They say "get THIS product running for us".
Debian doesnt run those things, therefore, Debian is not even CONSIDERED at
those sites.