Re: Insight 5.0 and GDB 5.0

Eray,

I haven't done any real timing analysis.  There are certain things that work less well on Tk on Windows than on Unix for structural reasons.  For instance, if you get lots of Tk windows in a display, then the Windows message traffic slows down things like mapping the window, moving it, and resizing.  I have also worked on "a pretty fast Windows box" and an UltraSparc 30 with the Creator 3D card.  The UltraSparc was noticably faster for Tk, though not really that much faster for native Windows apps vrs Motif or GTk apps.  Also, I have heard anecdotal evidence from the newsgroup that X versions are faster than Windows.

I also know that there have been cases where the behavior of Tk on XFree86 has been noticeably worse than on Sun's XServer, though this seems not to be a universal experience.

I also think that SN is doing something funny in how it constructs and maps windows.  It is slower than comparable Insight windows for no apparent reason.

If you really want more data on this, you should ask the question on comp.lang.tcl.  It would be interesting to see what people's experiences have been.

Jim

--
Jim Ingham                                   jingham@apple.com
Developer Tools - gdb