Re: Insight 5.0 and GDB 5.0

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 10:11:47AM -0800, Jim Ingham wrote:
> Eray,
>
> No, Tk usually works alot better on X than on Windows.

What do you folks think? Could somebody compare tk programs
on identical windows and linux boxen? My experience with
sourcenav was for instance very surprising.

My hardware is a simple i386 box:

  athlon 700, 256 mb ram, riva tnt video card and an IDE disk.

I use debian woody and windows98 se on this box. The source-navigator
program is visibly slower (say about 2 times) than windows version.
There's little difference in insight.

Anyway, since tk programs are quite portable perhaps you've had
the chance to observe performance differences on these two families
of platforms (linux/xfree86 vs windows). What is your experience?

If you observe the performance problem,
  * is it because of tcl/tk implementation?
  * is it because of xfree86?

Thanks,

--
Eray (exa) Ozkural