Re: Anarchism package

On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 03:39:08AM +0200, Eray Ozkural wrote:
> Yep, debian already has the bible and dictionaries.
>
> But please consider the following situtations, and tell me if there's
> anything different from the situation with bible or anarchism

You're calling on the domino effect, here. Yes, that could happen. But
if it does, _then_ Debian needs to stop and examine what's going on. As
of now, it is better for Debian to deal with things through social
pressure and general opinion, then to lay down hard lines in this area
about what not to add to Debian.

If someone uploads something hateful, I'm sure that the Debian developers
will take action to remove it before release, and probably action to
prevent anything like it being uploaded. But until then, nobody's being
hurt by a few packages laying around the archives. Pick one up, look through
it, maybe you'll learn something. Or don't.

Remember when someone uploaded huge maps of coastlines? Several developers
complained until the offending developer relented. Had he not relented,
Debian would have been heaver by a couple hundred megabytes . . . and
nothing would have happened. Had "they" decided to toss regulations around,
everyone's blood pressure would have been up, and Debian would probably have
lost at least one good developer.

If you're interested, Eray, I'd be happy to justify why I'm maintaining
display-dhammapada and listen to your arguments against it in private
mail.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http://dvdeug.dhis.org