Re: Which task package installs gpm?

> On 20000920T114449-0500, David Starner wrote:
> > You do realize Emacs predates the free Unixes by several years, right?
>
> Emacs predates the free Unixen by more than a decade (assuming here,
> now, that the free Unixen started at most ten years ago - I don't know
> BSD history).

'bout right...  I remember in 1989 that BSD4.3 was beer-free if you had
an AT&T source license for UNIX Version 7 (which wasn't beer-free).
4.4 didn't come out for a couple of years after that, and 4.4lite (the
first version with no AT&T code, and thus DFSG-free) came out shortly
after.

> And Emacs is not a UNIX editor.  It is an ITS editor, written as a set
> of TECO macros.  Or was, initially. :-)

Emacs is arguably not a UNIX editor.  But the claim that vi is while
Emacs is Linux/*BSD is bizzare, considering that vi was written by Bill
Joy while working on BSD.  It wasn't adopted by AT&T for some time
afterwards.

If you want serious UNIX editors, give me ed anyday ;-).