Re: Which task package installs gpm?

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 01:50:05PM -0400, Robert D. Hilliard wrote:
>      Personally, I cannot imagine a system without emacs, but enough
> people favor the other "one true editor" that it is unreasonable to
> load up a newby's disk with emacs without giving him a choice.

He has a choice. ae and nvi are both higher priority than emacs.

> Likewise, many people will never use tetex, so it shouldn't be pushed
> onto someone's disk without asking.

It's not - you always have the option of removing it, of going
into dselect and chosing your packages.

See, I wasn't arguing that the daemons shouldn't be in standard.
But if they are in standard, standard shouldn't be installed by
default, because that opens potential security holes. I would
have no problem installing emacs or tetex as standard.

Many people will never use nvi or many other packages that
are part of a standard system. Furthermore, anyone concerned about
what's on their system should do it by hand. If you don't want to
do it by hand, you get a default standard system.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http/ftp: dvdeug.dhis.org