Re: ITP: glide3

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 06:22:45PM +1100, Timshel Knoll wrote:
> > Not v3 or v5... the only debian packages for v3 I found are aliened rpms
> > by chris@dvorty.mcclimans.net (and I was going to post about those until I
> > noticed they were alien generated) [Not sure where in my apt sources.list
> > these come from - any good way to find out?]
> >
> > V3 is for the Banshee and Voodoo 3 and is a complete 2d/3d card.
> > v5 I think is for the new cards only.
>
> Yep, this is correct, v5 is for voodoo 4 and 5 (not that anyone's really
> got a voodoo 4 ... what happened to them anyways?)

Marketting happened.  The Voodoo 4 and 5 were the same core anyway.

> The current glide packages in debian are glide 2 packages, ie. version
> 2 of the Glide API. The X4 DRI implementation requires glide 3 libraries,
> (which has only recently been released for linux), which is what I'm
> ITP'ing. I'm not sure, but this may actually support voodoo 2 cards as
> well (there is a voodoo 2 build tree in the upstream dist). If so,
> I'll also build a libglide3-v2 package as well

Not possible to build libglide3-v2 at the moment.  It just doesn't work
properly - sorry.  It NEVER worked in Linux to be honest.  As Zeph has
two of them sitting there, he'll hack on cvg when he's got the h3 and h5
working.  There's little hope that you'll see sst or sst96 support in
glide3.  The cards are just so pathetic by any reasonable standard today
they're not worth 3dfx's trouble, nor Zeph's, nor mine.  It could be done,
but it would be so slow you'd wish it never had been.

<Joy> that's a Kludge(TM)
<knghtbrd> It Works(tm)
<Joy> AIX works(TM)
<knghtbrd> no it doesn't