Re: ITP: glide3

On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 09:08:36PM -0700, Seth Cohn wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, Ben Collins wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 02:18:25PM +1100, Timshel Knoll wrote:
> > > glide is the api for using 3D graphics on 3Dfx boards. This package will
> > > contain library packages libglide-v3 and libglide-v5, as well as
> > > appropriate -dev and -bin packages. This is intended to be built to be
> > > ready for the X4 release, with DRI (initial releases will be built without
> > > DRI support until X4 is in the dist ...)
> > >
> > > License is 3Dfx public license (included below)
> >
> > I thought we already had several glide packages.
>
> Not v3 or v5... the only debian packages for v3 I found are aliened rpms
> by chris@dvorty.mcclimans.net (and I was going to post about those until I
> noticed they were alien generated) [Not sure where in my apt sources.list
> these come from - any good way to find out?]
>
> V3 is for the Banshee and Voodoo 3 and is a complete 2d/3d card.
> v5 I think is for the new cards only.

Yep, this is correct, v5 is for voodoo 4 and 5 (not that anyone's really
got a voodoo 4 ... what happened to them anyways?)

The current glide packages in debian are glide 2 packages, ie. version
2 of the Glide API. The X4 DRI implementation requires glide 3 libraries,
(which has only recently been released for linux), which is what I'm
ITP'ing. I'm not sure, but this may actually support voodoo 2 cards as
well (there is a voodoo 2 build tree in the upstream dist). If so,
I'll also build a libglide3-v2 package as well

Thanks,

Timshel

--
   Timshel Knoll <timshel@pobox.com>  for Debian email: <timshel@debian.org>
    Second year Computer Science, RMIT   |   CS108 Tutor (Semester 2, 2000)