Re: ITP: glide3

On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 09:08:36PM -0700, Seth Cohn wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 02:18:25PM +1100, Timshel Knoll wrote:
> > > glide is the api for using 3D graphics on 3Dfx boards. This package will
> > > contain library packages libglide-v3 and libglide-v5, as well as
> > > appropriate -dev and -bin packages. This is intended to be built to be
> > > ready for the X4 release, with DRI (initial releases will be built without
> > > DRI support until X4 is in the dist ...)
> > >
> > > License is 3Dfx public license (included below)
> >
> > I thought we already had several glide packages.
>
> Not v3 or v5... the only debian packages for v3 I found are aliened rpms
> by chris@dvorty.mcclimans.net (and I was going to post about those until I
> noticed they were alien generated) [Not sure where in my apt sources.list
> these come from - any good way to find out?]
>
> V3 is for the Banshee and Voodoo 3 and is a complete 2d/3d card.
> v5 I think is for the new cards only.

There is a glide2 h3 tree.  glide3 is all but useless in Linux (still)
since nothing uses it except Mesa in XFree4.  h3 works on the Voodoo3 and
Voodoo Banshee.  h5 only exists in glide3, however, so XFree4 is essential
to Voodoo5.  XFree4 is still having its kinks worked out (I'm now running
it on aurora, which hasn't got a 3dfx card - I'll soon try it on trinity
which has a Voodoo3..  I'm waiting on Zeph and Branden first though..)

We reject: kings, presidents, and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and working code.
        -- Dave Clark