Re: woody Debian Installer plans

On Sat, Sep 16, 2000 at 10:39:11AM +1100, Glenn McGrath <bug1@optushome.com.au> was heard to say:
> As far as bootloaders goes, i dont think it will be a problem using
> different bootloaders, every different architecture has a different one
> for initial booting anyway. But i realise grub will have to be installed
> for the hurd, i remember talk some time ago about using it for linux,
> cant remember what happened about it.

  Grub is a much nicer bootloader than lilo; I switched to it to try the Hurd,
but it's so much nicer (in fact) that I no longer install lilo on any system
where I can replace it with Grub.  Maybe lilo should be kept around for weird
hardware that Grub doesn't support (is there any such hardware?), but Grub
is really very superior in terms of interface and capabilities -- especially
because it does filesystem lookups to find the OS kernel, so installing a
new kernel (or moving your old one on the disk) doesn't cause your system to
become unbootable if you forget to run LILO.  And if you do somehow mess up your
system, you can use the Grub command line to fix your problem.  Being able to
type:

  root (hd0,1)
  kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.16
  boot

  and boot with your former kernel saves a LOT of fooling around with
special bootdisks.

  And did I mention that it's really nice? :)

  Daniel

--
/----------------- Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> -----------------\
|                   "Truly, you have a dizzying intellect."                   |