Re: Future of debian-cd

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 11:20:58AM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
>Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>> Here are the main critics that I have :
>
>Let me add my main problem:
>
>- Requires a full debian mirror to work.
>
>IMHO, it would be much better to follow the lead of how d-i builds its
>boot images, by using apt to download (u)debs. debian-cd would also need
>to use wget or something for the non-deb components, but it should be
>possible to use it with nothing but a network connection, and caching.

Something that Phil and I discussed a while ago - it should be
feasible to produce jigdo images of CDs directly from Packages,
Release and/or Sources files without needing any of the rest of the
mirror. With the patch I've made to mkisofs and some extra work in
jigdo itself, we should be able to drop production times for images
from multiple hours down to a few minutes...

Sound interesting? :-)

Support the Campaign for Audiovisual Free Expression: http://www.eff.org/cafe/