Re: Future of debian-cd

* Jan Kesten

| Here is the perl way of opening a file, reading it and sorting the
| lines into a new file:

#! /usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;

my $file = shift;
open IN, "<$file" or die "Can't open $file: $!";
open OUT, ">$file.sorted" or die "Can't open $file.sorted: $!";

print OUT sort <IN>;

This is fairly readable to me at least; yes, it's possible to write it
shorter, and it's possible to write it without strict, but it's a nice
safety net.

| And the python way looks like this:

[...]

| Some other thing is that python knows about classes :-) But I do not
| want to start a discussion about pro perl or python :-)

I don't think the python code here looks better at all.  It's possible
to write both readable and unreadable python or perl.

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-