Getting jigdo to actually work

Does there exist a set of examples for making the jigdo tools
actually produce iso images instead of downloading 4.5 gig of
file parts and then crashing with no explanation?  I mean,
it _seems_ like a good idea to only get the parts that have
changed, but I cannot find any clear explanation for what I'm
doing wrong.  All I ever end up with is enormous files that
jigdo refuses to use the next pass:
   280 debian-30r2-i386-binary-3.iso.list
662892 debian-30r2-i386-binary-3.tmp
    56 woody-i386-3.jigdo
   132 woody-i386-3.jigdo.unpacked
 34776 woody-i386-3.template
Having spent hours downloading files and copying them around,
I get:
Found 0 of the 1639 files required by the template
Will not create image or temporary file - try again with
different input files I take the default path and hit <enter>,
and it starts downloading everything all over again.

Thanks for any input,
Rog
kc8cgh at arrl dot net