Re: partman-zfs warning template wording

2011/2/8 Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org>:
> My main point is to avoid "jargon". Here, we are talking about
> kfreebsd ports where only two flavours exist: -i386 and -amd64. Both
> run on the same family of processors and the main difference between
> them is that one is 32-bits and the other is 64-bits.
>
> So, as what we basically want to say users is "hey, if you pick ZFS
> file system, you guys should really pick the so-called amd64
> architecture", my proposal seems to be a good way to do so.
>
> Maybe, if we want to be picky, we could say:
>
> " Although ZFS is supported on 32 bits i386 family systems, using it
> without special tuning may lead to performance or stability problems."

This seems fine to me.

>> > These arches names are confusing enough, imho.
>>
>> What's confusing about them?
>
> I think that a random poll among users would easily lead to many
> people thinking that "amd64" should only be used with systems with AMD
> processors. This is what I call "confusing".

If you tell users to install "amd64", they may not know
technical details about this architecture such as pointer
length, but they know exactly which file to download.

OTOH, if you tell users to install "the 64-bit version", they
may know pointer length but will doubt when they have
to choose between "amd64" and "ia64".

I don't think it hurts to mention pointer length, as
long as it doesn't replace the key information:

  - trouble is with i386
  - use amd64 if your hardware supports it

I propose something like this:

 You have configured one or more partitions with the ZFS file
 system. Although ZFS is supported on 32-bit i386, using it without
 special tuning may lead to performance or stability problems
 due to limitations of the this architecture.
 .
 You're encouraged to either use the 64-bit (amd64) version of this
 installer (if your hardware supports this), or go back to the
 partitioning menu and configure the partitions to use another
 file system.

--
Robert Millan