Re: di-netboot-assistant update for experimental

On Tuesday 27 October 2009, Frank Lin PIAT wrote:
> I have two feature request that are pending, and I need your help:
>
> Using local repository (requested by fjp)

This is more important now as my previous method to include custom images
no longer works without the DHCP patchprefix.

> I wondered how to address this. I now think it would be possible if
> the images where structured like this (we can switch arch and dist
> folder hierarchy):

This is one option, but requires users to lay out their images in a
specific structure and probably in a specific location.

Wouldn't it be simpler to just allow a user to specify the image on the
command line using a new command? Something like:
   di-netboot-assistant custom --name="mybuild" <filename>

The name option could be optional with a default of "custom".
The architecture can AFAIK be derived from the contents on the tarball.

I think the uninstall etc. options should just work as AFAIK it depends on
your registration of the images, and not their origin.

IMO there's no need to check the MD5SUM. If someone installs an image this
way he'll either have built it himself, or can simply check it himself
beforehand if desired.

> Allow preseeding using TFTP (reqested by Otavio)
> 1. Is it possible to simply concatenate multiple tar.gz files?

I doubt that tar supports that.

> 2. Is it possible to simply concatenate multiple tar in one .gz files?

Yes, gzip should support that.

> 3. Or is it possible to pass multiple "initrd=" to  a given Kernel?

I don't think so.

Cheers,
FJP