Re: Reducing the complication of choices in console-setup udeb config: first thought

Quoting Samuel Thibault (sthibault@debian.org):

> That approach misses things. For instance, Andorra (AD)'s official
> language is catalan (cat), for which you only provide es' cat variant
> layout. Xorg does have an ad layout which is quite different from es'
> cat variant.  And that is only the first one in the xkb list.
>
> Ok, that's no regression from what we had previously and we have no
> AD locale for now, but should we really select keyboards by hand and

There *is* a ca_AD locale...

> restrict ourselves from just automatically supporting such keyboard?
>
> I have a script that can automatically generate the attached perl hash
> (kbds), which I had meant to use to automatically determine the default
> keyboard to use depending on the country/language pair, to replace the
> handcrafted switch statement of console-setup's config.  That brings 137
> keyboard layouts which we should ideally support (kbds2).

Actually, I think that your script is great to provide us with the
*maximum* keymap number we shoudl present to users.

However, I still think we should be selective in it. For instance, I
don't see any purpose in having a keymap for Oriya/India while we
don't support Oriya in D-I.

Given that adding a new language in D-I goes through a very formalized
process, I think we should still take languages as the starting basis
and only list keymaps that support languages which we support in
D-I.....

Of course, when we add a new language, then we will add the needed
keymaps.