Re: lenny Installer with PXE on HP DL360G5 / bnx2

On 2008-09-09 23:11:13, Jérémy Bobbio wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 03:29:42PM +0200, Christian Hofstaedtler wrote:
> > How is one supposed to install from the network/PXE on such common
> > hardware?
>
> You will need to add the firmware to the initrd.gz available on your
> TFTP server. You can find it in the bnx2-firmware package in the
> non-free section of the archive.  Then use gzip and cpio to extract and
> compress the image again:
>
>  * Extract in current directory:
>    $ zcat /path/to/installer/initrd.gz | cpio -iv
>
>  * Create a new image from the current directory:
>    $ find . -print0 | cpio -0 -H newc -ov | \
>        gzip -c > /path/to/installer/initrd.gz

I've tried this with the lenny installer daily build from today; on
amd64. Installation works, but:

- the firmware files on the installed system (in /lib/firmware) are owned
  by the initial user, not by root.

- the firmware-bnx2 package is not installed, those files are not
  claimed by any package. I wonder how they will get updated, if
  needed?

Are these known issues or shall I write a bug report? (Didn't find any
bugs against debian-installer, but then that may be the wrong
package?)

BTW, the manual [1] doesn't seem to contain this info yet, may be
this should be added at some point?

Chris

[1] http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.amd64/

--
Christian Hofstädtler
InQnet GmbH, Praterstrasse 31, Vienna, Austria