Re: "No kernel modules found" on today amd64

Christian Perrier wrote:
Quoting Eugen Dedu (Eugen.Dedu@pu-pm.univ-fcomte.fr):

With the ISO from the link above, the network detection is ok.

However, it asks me about floppy module, but I have no floppy... I unselect the floppy module, I say no to PCMCIA services, and the DCCP (with Ethernet) works. I am doing the installation and keep you informed.

Sorry, what's the difference between netboot and netinst? Is there a Web page explaining that? At http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/ netboot is absent... I think it would be useful to explain at http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ in one sentence each of the types of boot.

netboot is a very minimal image which leads you up to the network
settings, then downloads all remaining components from a network
mirror.

netinst is a CD image that allows installing a Debian *base* system
*without* the network. We all agree this is a kinda confusing name..:-)

And businesscard? Can this info be put on http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer? It takes only 2-3 lines, but avoid all confusion (I imagine that many people put this question)... I can write myself these sentences if you wish.

Now, pursuing the installation:

- In modules to load, live-installer (Install the base system) seems bizarre. In fact, I AM installing the base system, so why proposing this as module? I imagine live-installer means another thing, I propose to explain better what is it.

- In modules to load, I have selected: eject-udeb, irda, cdrom-checker. After configure the clock, it goes back to "Detect and mount CD-ROM" instead of choosing the next item in the menu. Upon ENTER, it says that "The CD-ROM drive contains a CD which cannot be used for installation..." So I go myself after "Configure the clock", i.e. to "Detect disks". After that, it goes back again to "Detect and
mount CD-ROM" and I manually change again to the item after "Detect disks".

- The laptop has 2GB of memory, so it creates 4GB swap.  This is a
kernel question, but is it really necessary to have 4GB of swap?  2GB of
memory is already sufficient to execute 2 linux systems in
parallel :o) My previous laptop had 512MB of RAM, and 512MB RAM + 1GB swap it is still less than 2GB of memory of current laptop.

Greetings,
--
Eugen Dedu