Re: "No kernel modules found" on today amd64

Quoting Eugen Dedu (Eugen.Dedu@pu-pm.univ-fcomte.fr):

> And businesscard?  Can this info be put on
> http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer?  It takes only 2-3 lines, but
> avoid all confusion (I imagine that many people put this question)...  I
> can write myself these sentences if you wish.

Well, the devel/d-i page assumes that ppl know what are the various
images. After all, these are *development* pages.

If I'm correct, businesscard/netinst are documented on
cdimage.debian.org so I would not see any need to redocument this in
the D-I pages. Maybe put a link...

After our messages, I also biefly looked in the D-I manual
(http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual) for a reference...but didn't
find one..... As I looked *briefly*, that doesn't really mean anything..:)

> Now, pursuing the installation:
>
> - In modules to load, live-installer (Install the base system) seems
> bizarre.  In fact, I AM installing the base system, so why proposing this
> as module?  I imagine live-installer means another thing, I propose to
> explain better what is it.

The "modules to load" part is meant for *special* installs. This is
why it is not shown but in expert mode (did you use "expert" to
boot). So, in short, you shouldn't  pick a D-I module to load, *except
if you have some specific needs*.

> - In modules to load, I have selected: eject-udeb, irda, cdrom-checker.
> After configure the clock, it goes back to "Detect and mount CD-ROM"
> instead of choosing the next item in the menu.  Upon ENTER, it says that
> "The CD-ROM drive contains a CD which cannot be used for installation..."
> So I go myself after "Configure the clock", i.e. to "Detect disks".  After
> that, it goes back again to "Detect and
> mount CD-ROM" and I manually change again to the item after "Detect disks".

That's expected.

> - The laptop has 2GB of memory, so it creates 4GB swap.  This is a
> kernel question, but is it really necessary to have 4GB of swap?  2GB of
> memory is already sufficient to execute 2 linux systems in
> parallel :o)  My previous laptop had 512MB of RAM, and 512MB RAM + 1GB swap
> it is still less than 2GB of memory of current laptop.

This has been discussed in the past and I thought we reverted this
"swap==double of physical memory" setting. Dunno in what conditions
this was changed...or not.