Alternative to make a module support database (was Re: Some ideas regarding hardware detection and the installation system)

Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> writes:

> [Otavio Salvador]
>> I think it can be improved. Let me explain my idea:
>>
>> If we build the module that we want to add on the database and write a
>> small script that uses modules.alias file updated with it we can write
>> the database will full module knownledge available. This would all
>> make possible to write a small script that does make this
>> automatically.
>>
>> grep ata_piix /lib/modules/2.6.22-1-686/modules.alias \
>>    | sed 's,pci:v0000\(.*\)d0000\(.*\)sv.*,\1:\2,g' \
>>    | sort -u
>
> I am unable to understand the idea.  It might be because I do not know
> the use of the modules.alias file.

It has a list of pciids that a module has support to. Basically is
what udev uses for probing them. So we might use it to build the
database of external modules.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116