Add support for installing packages for hardware support on d-i (was Re: Some ideas regarding hardware detection and the installation system)

Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> writes:

> [Otavio Salvador]
>> Can you please elaborate a little more how do you intend to do that?
>> I personally wouldn't like to have my system with gcc and like,
>> needed to build the module, so would be nice if we might purge those
>> packages after building it. I also don't know where do you think it
>> might fit better?
>
> Well, my idea is to just install everything needed to build the kernel
> module if the hardware need such kernel module and then build and
> install it.  After all, the kernel module need to be built again when
> the kernel is upgraded, and thus the compiler need to be present then.

Right.

> And I am not quite sure where in d-i it fits, but suspect some time
> after tasksel is done as a script included in the hw-detect udeb .

Yes. I personally agree that it might be done after tasksel since it
could have installed alternative packages or something before and
hence avoiding duplication.

So it might be done at beggining of finish-install. It can be a script
present on hw-detect but putting it at finish-install.d.

What others thing about it?

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R