Re: Boot floppies of RC1 broken for VAIO laptop

Hi Geert,

booting into the etch installer works very well this way. Thus I have the
laptop now up with a

topsi:~# uname -a
Linux topsi 2.6.17-2-486 #1 Wed Sep 13 15:56:30 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
topsi:~#

kernel from the debian installer for etch. The laptop has etch installed, but
grub/lilo are not setup correctly.

When I run lilo (which worked before), I get:

topsi:~# lilo
/proc/misc: No entry for device-mapper found
Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
/dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
/proc/misc: No entry for device-mapper found
Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
/dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
Incompatible libdevmapper 1.02.08 (2006-07-17)(compat) and kernel driver
Added Linux *
Fatal: open /vmlinuz.old: No such file or directory
topsi:~#

grub runs probably on a similar issue:

topsi:~# grub-install /dev/hda
/dev/hda does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.
topsi:~#

I am wondering, if the kernel on the etch d-i does not include the
device-mapper (?). And if yes, if the d-i grub also runs without device
mapper...

Does that make any sense?

Could I copy the boot directory of the laptop to the bootp server and boot the
regular etch kernel from there?

Thanks,
Rainer

--