Re: Boot floppies of RC1 broken for VAIO laptop

Am Samstag, 2. Dezember 2006 15:47 schrieb Douglas Tutty:
> On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 01:03:15PM +0100, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> > >
> > > The problem is that the 2.6.18 kernel is so big that we cannot fit the
> > > USB drivers on the boot floppy anymore. So unfortunately we've had to
> > > drop support for both USB floppy drives and USB keyboards.
> >
> > Ic...do I have any chance that I can get Debian etch on such a VAIO
> > laptop (except of installing sarge and upgrade)? There would be a
> > pcmcia-DVD drive, but the laptop can't boot from it.
>
> If your box supports booting from a USB floppy, would it boot from a USB
> stick?  If so forget about floppies and make a USB (hd-media) install
> and put the netinst.iso on the stick.  It works great.  Instructions are
> in the installation manual.

Hmm....good point, but I would be surprised, if booting from an usb stick
would work. It explicitly says in the BIOS floppy, there is no usb stick
option. I would be surprised, if an usb stick and a floppy image look
identical for the laptop (except the capacity).

PXE does not work either. The vaio can boot from (USB) floppy drive,
(expensive bootable Sony) ATAPI CDDRIVE, hdd.

The real problem I have with that laptop is that is has an etch system, but
does not boot right now. The initrd.img seems to be broken (after my last
initramfs-tools update?). When I boot with the sarge discs mount the root
filesystem do a chroot and mount the proc filesystem, I am in the system, can
basically run apt-get install and update software within a complete etch
environment (except the kernel itself, this is a sarge kernel image).

I have trouble running lilo etc. (I assume sarge did not support devmapper):

topsi:~# lilo
/proc/misc: No entry for device-mapper found
Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
/dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
/proc/misc: No entry for device-mapper found
Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
/dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
Incompatible libdevmapper 1.02.08 (2006-07-17)(compat) and kernel driver
Warning: '/proc/partitions' does not match '/dev' directory structure.
    Name change: '/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc' -> '/dev/hda'
Added Linux *
Fatal: open /vmlinuz.old: No such file or directory
topsi:~#

Just wondering, if there is a way to work around this. Somehow people doing an
update from sarge to etch must see the same issue. How does it work there?

Thanks,
Rainer

--
Rainer Dorsch