Re: [g-i] freefont vs. dejavu

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 04:33:29PM +1030, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> Meanwhile, Freefont "works" for Vietnamese,
> it's just not as good as we would like. For example, even at 16pt, I
> have to guess many of the words, because the accents over the vowels
> blend into the line above. However, that's Freefont's issue.

hopefully g-i will put more attention on font development. Today I took
a look at dejavu and found out that all the necessary glyphs needed by
Vietnamese are contained in version 2.4 (I thought 2.3 was ok but I was
wrong)

> Can we use it for Vietnamese? Yes, if we don't have anything better. :)

I understand your point: I still think showing our interest will "inspire"
font developers / maintainers. As said before, I think the best option for
a project like g-i would be a package like freefont or dejavu covering almost
all languages without using too many bytes and with a nice visual effect.

> Do we have a link where I can point people, about Debian being about
> to release? Also, will we be doing Release Notes and generally waving
> the flag a bit? I'd like to know, so I can (1) translate the release
> notes and (2) spread the good news on Vietnamese sites. :D

I'd say the wiki [1] and debian-boot. Once g-i will be more officially
integrated with d-i we'll see if and how webpages will be changed.

Ciao,
Davide

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/GUI