Re: [g-i] freefont vs. dejavu

Hellon again :)

On 21/03/2006, at 9:58 AM, Davide Viti wrote:

On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 12:06:27PM +1030, Clytie Siddall wrote:
As for the fontsize we can increase it, so it would not be a problem.

Great. I'd like to have a more detailed look at the font.

I took a screenshot of the same text using a fonstsize of 16 points:
http://www.webalice.it/zinosat/shots/vi_16pt.png

Thanks, that is easier to read. The text is definitely readable, although the font does not meet some essential criteria for being a really readable Vietnamese font. I have written a detailed critique to the Freefont developers (including comparative screenshots) which I hope will be useful. Meanwhile, Freefont "works" for Vietnamese, it's just not as good as we would like. For example, even at 16pt, I have to guess many of the words, because the accents over the vowels blend into the line above. However, that's Freefont's issue.

Can we use it for Vietnamese? Yes, if we don't have anything better. :)

The user will be able to choose font-size for the installer, won't
they? If not, I suggest a slightly larger size than "normal" for
Vietnamese, because we have to distinguish all the accents, and some
of them do blend in to each other at smaller sizes.

Being realistic, I guess it'll take a while before we offer the user
the chance to change properties of fonts during installation; on the
other hand Frans is about to add some code which makes it possible
to use different size for different languages: we will take into account your suggestion and increase default fontsize for Vietnamese (we already
have to do it for Arabic / Persian)

Thanks, that will help. I don't want outraged posts on VNOSS saying, "Why didn't you package the magnifying glass??" :D

I'll post some pictures of Vietnamese text using dejavu fonts as soon as
the new version of the package is available so... stay tuned :)

Thanks, that will be really useful. I'd like to grab a copy of the new fonts when they're available, and compare them with my existing standard comparison fonts. Hmm, I feel a quick webpage coming on... <grabs text editor>

Gak, took much longer than I had imagined, but it's fairly detailed.

http://www.riverland.net.au/~clytie/viet/fonts.html

I'll have to work on the translation when I have a bit more time.

I'll update it with more info on Freefont and Dejavu as it becomes available.

Do we have a link where I can point people, about Debian being about to release? Also, will we be doing Release Notes and generally waving the flag a bit? I'd like to know, so I can (1) translate the release notes and (2) spread the good news on Vietnamese sites. :D