Re: [g-i] Stripping code in ttf-freefont, do we still need it?

On 3/7/06, Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
> At this moment, ttf-freefont uses some code to strip fonts in the
> udeb:
>
>         chmod u+x ./convertfonts.sh
>         ./convertfonts.sh
>         # Strip the fonts for the udeb
>         chmod u+x ./stripfonts.sh
>         chmod u+x scripts/FreeSans-strip
>         chmod u+x scripts/ConvertFont
>         ./stripfonts.sh
>
> Scripts are at the end of this mail....
>
> Eddy, Davide, are these scripts still useful or are they redundant
> with font stripping that may be planned in the g-i build system? They
> hardcode the kept (or excluded?) ranges which sounds not really
> scalable to me.

Currently, yes, they are still needed. I haven't been too much in
touch with the font problem in G-I lately, but we are getting close to
do stripping on all fonts. Still the stripping should be done (IMHO)
at udeb creation because the udebs' files should be exact ones which
will be placed on the iso image (this way we are sure we are not
inducing subtle problems).

Probably making an debhelper script that can do font stripping so it
is ran in the make rule of the udebs should be provided.

As far as future plans are concerned, if we are going to do font
stripping in the g-i build system, then it means we would have no use
of the udebs, but we could use directly the font debs and we could
generate stripped fonts and place them in the image without using font
udebs.

As to scalability, I agree;

Davide, we should have a discussion related to this issue. How can we
do font stripping based _exactly_ on used the ranges in the D-I
translations and make this for all used fonts? It would be nice to
have

dh_stripfont infile outfile rangesfile

so the make rule for the font udeb could call this to make the stripping

the rangesfile file could be something like:

font_package_name1:ttf_files_list:ranges_needed_for_font1
font_package_name2:ttf_files_list:ranges_needed_for_font2
font_package_name3:ttf_files_list:ranges_needed_for_font3

We could control these ranges and files and this would allow us to
control which ranges we want from which fonts and to sync the ranges
with the needed unicode points.

Frans, Davide, Christian, what do you think?

--
Regards,
EddyP