Re: [g-i] Stripping code in ttf-freefont, do we still need it?

On Tuesday 07 March 2006 07:40, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Eddy, Davide, are these scripts still useful or are they redundant
> with font stripping that may be planned in the g-i build system? They
> hardcode the kept (or excluded?) ranges which sounds not really
> scalable to me.

The "may be planned" is correct. I am currently not convinced that we
really want to strip at build time as it is not possible to completely
reliably build a list of needed glyphs as they will actually be used
during the full installation.

Stripping at build time based on glyphs used at that time in SVN
(packages) is IMO not a real option as the glyphs present in udebs on
mirrors may be different and therefore glyphs could be missed.

My personal preference at the moment is to strip the fonts in the udebs as
currently done for Freefont.

The final selection of fonts is still not settled. Until that happens and
we can provide font packagers with fairly definite ranges of glyphs
(either to be included or to be stripped), I think we should continue to
use the tarballs for flexibility.

However, we should try to move towards finalizing our choices. I think the
progress in general is good.
So, to answer your question: yes, IMO the code is still needed but the
ranges for Freefont will change, especially if we switch to Dejavu as
basefont.

Cheers,
FJP