Re: [g-i] Arabic / Persian fonts

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 09:14:37PM +0100, Davide Viti wrote:
> > After testing, it seems that the "cut first character" is related to
> > italic. Indeed, if you have a look at[0], you'll see that the same word
> > is not rendered the same way when italic or not (see the first word - in
> > RTL way, obviously - in the zoomed areas). When aleph (the vertical bar
> > glyph) is italic, it goes out and is then cut.

before I forget about the converstion on d-boot:

<adn>	zinosat: there must be a box for the text area
<adn>	and the italic version goes out of bounds
<K_Dallas>	adn, that is why in TeX there is an italic correction for each font
<adn>	zinosat: a solution can be to add a space at the beginning of this string
<zinosat>	adn, gtk_text_buffer_create_tag (description_buffer, "italic", "style", PANGO_STYLE_ITALIC, NULL);
<adn>	ok, either pango or the font is the one to blame here
<adn>	but I want to know whether the character is also cut with a space or not
<zinosat>	adn, you should just tell me which string needs the space
<adn>	#. Type: text
<adn>	#. Description
<adn>	#: ../hw-detect.templates:3
<adn>	msgid "Detecting hardware, please wait..."

I then created a version of hw-hardware containing the extra space in
the appropriate string of ar.po and tried to roll up a mini.iso
including this modified udeb and only nazli.ttf.
Kamion's advice was not enought for me to rebuild the image: tomorrow I'll
try again.

Attilio: if it's not to much trouble a stupid application just showing that string on the gray area
should be enough to reproduce the bug if that's a bug.
maybe pasting the same string twice (once with the extra space, and one without it) would be even better.

msgid "Detecting hardware, please wait..."
msgstr " ­ç®¤­ù­ê­ç­ï­Ì ­ç®¤­ñ­ì­ç­á ­ç®¤­ç®¦­ê­ø­ç­ñ..."

In case the encoding gets messed up the string is at line 144 of:

svn svn://svn.debian.org/svn/d-i/trunk/packages/hw-detect/debian/po/ar.po

I owe you a pint of beer :)

goodnight
Davide