Re: [g-i] fonts: a few thoughts

Hidetaka Iwai wrote:
Frans Pop <aragorn@tiscali.nl> wrote:

On Tuesday 06 December 2005 14:52, Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:

ok, let's suppose we can setup a correct gtkrc file every time we need
it: then the GTK frontend will have to read /etc/gtkrc at every
frontend_go() call and so we must be sure this wouldn't be cause of
performance degradation.

Could we not trigger (force) a re-read externally somehow?

That is exactly what the sample program written in [1]Muto-san's previous
mail does.
 1. http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2005/12/msg00159.html

Hi

To test if gtkrc reloading code i did the following

-Added

GdkEventClient event;
event.type = GDK_CLIENT_EVENT;
event.send_event = TRUE;
event.window = NULL;
event.message_type = gdk_atom_intern("_GTK_READ_RCFILES", FALSE);
event.data_format = 8;
gdk_event_send_clientmessage_toall((GdkEvent *)&event);
while (gtk_events_pending ()) gtk_main_iteration ();

into the body of gtk_go() function, so that theme reloading is forced at every question that is displayed (no performance degradation detected at all).

I then recompiled gtk.so [5] and rebuilt the miniiso from where i removed freefonts and unfonts fonts.

-I then made the instaler boot and typed in VT2

echo 'gtk-font-name = "Sazanami Gothic 14"' > /etc/gtkrc-2.0/gtkrc

and i tested Japanese [1] and Korean [2] languages

-I then did

echo 'gtk-font-name = "UnDotum 14"' > /etc/gtkrc-2.0/gtkrc

and i tested Japanese [3] and Korean [4] languages again

(Note that i only switched between VTs and never had to kill the frontend to make it display new fonts).

[1] and [3] are identical, while i can see some diffecent characters from [2] to [4] inthe top-left part of the screen.

It seems to me that the new part of code effectively reloads the gtkrc preferences file: new fonts seem to be used as specified into gtkrc but only if freefonts and unfonts are removed, else freesans is still used as default font, no matter what i specify into gtkrc.

Attilio

[1] https://debian.polito.it/downloads/d-i_ja_SazanamiGothic.png
[2] https://debian.polito.it/downloads/d-i_ja_UnDotum.png
[3] https://debian.polito.it/downloads/d-i_ko_SazanamiGothic.png