Re: Preseeing w/o asking a question

Hi Geert,

Thanks for the help ...

On Monday 05 Sep 2005 19:05, Geert Stappers wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 05:32:13PM +0100, Paul Millar wrote:
> > [...] Is there *any* way of preseeding [root p/w]?
>
> Yes. [...]
> That will bring you to an preseed example
>  ( http://www.nl.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/apcs01.html.en )
> a text only version is:
>   http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/example-preseed.txt

Ta!

IIRC, this didn't work pre-sarge release (due to shadow's debian/config
resetting the values), but thankfully that's been fixed now.

> > Is [locking root p/w & configuring sudo] currently possible?
>
> in that example

Err... where?  Sorry, I don't see how to preseed that the root account should
be locked, nor how to preseed a list of accounts within the /etc/sudoers
list.  Could you elaborate further?

If its not easy to preseed that lot, not to worry: I can copy across a
suitable /etc/sudoers file across and do a "passwd -l root" within the
late_command script.

[...]
> > Also, I've a script that's run as base-config/late_command.  This works,
> > but causes the installer to halt at the second-final stage stage of the
> > install. Simply pressing enter causes the installer the rerun the script
> > and pause at the same point.
>
> Reduce your 'late_command' to 'echo bin here > /root/my_marker'
> and see that debian-installer doesn't need an extra "enter".

OK, that works fine.

> What I have seen from previous preseed problems is line truncation.
> Put your 'late_command' on one singel line

It was a single line, but a big(ish) one (77 characters, iirc).  I've reduced
its size (52 characters, now) and it seems to be working.  Is there some
limit to the size of a string?

> [...]

Cheers,

Paul.