Re: Language "categories" for localechooser

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 07:01:00AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Sven Luther (sven.luther@wanadoo.fr):
>
> > Why not probe for the terminal kind in some way, and have some heuristic
> > searching for it in some real way, instead of relying to user provided env
> > variables ? You can probe for a framebuffer i believe in either /proc/fb or
>
> Interesting idea. For the fb, I'm not sure it would be that useful
> (d-i/framebuffer is used elsewhere, IIRC), but it could help to
> recognize the console type.
>
> However, I need some wizard help here....

Can you check on your non-fb box :

$ more /proc/fb
0 ATI Radeon Ya

Not sure if this is enough, in case of multi-headed setting or serial console
though.

Also, don't know how to get the serial console data. I know it can be done
though.

> > something such, or the dmesg output. not sure about the distinction between
> > 7bit and 8bit consoles though, but it is probable that this value is stored in
> > some place too, or maybe gettable through a ioctl, after all those where
> > distinction coming to us from the old unices and their serial console terminal
> > heritage. No idea about gtk+ though.
>

> GTK+ will be a user choice (I mean, switching between it and the text
> fb installer will be either done at the boot prompt...or by some
> automatic way during the boot process). So, using the DEBIAN_FRONTEND
> variable seems the safest way (I have to check whether that one is set
> but, anyway, there's certainly *something*....)

Ok. Maybe the code could set a debconf variable early on when DEBIAN_FRONTEND
is detected, and this can be used later on by everyone needing it ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther