Re: Language "categories" for localechooser

Quoting Sven Luther (sven.luther@wanadoo.fr):

> Why not probe for the terminal kind in some way, and have some heuristic
> searching for it in some real way, instead of relying to user provided env
> variables ? You can probe for a framebuffer i believe in either /proc/fb or

Interesting idea. For the fb, I'm not sure it would be that useful
(d-i/framebuffer is used elsewhere, IIRC), but it could help to
recognize the console type.

However, I need some wizard help here....

> something such, or the dmesg output. not sure about the distinction between
> 7bit and 8bit consoles though, but it is probable that this value is stored in
> some place too, or maybe gettable through a ioctl, after all those where
> distinction coming to us from the old unices and their serial console terminal
> heritage. No idea about gtk+ though.

GTK+ will be a user choice (I mean, switching between it and the text
fb installer will be either done at the boot prompt...or by some
automatic way during the boot process). So, using the DEBIAN_FRONTEND
variable seems the safest way (I have to check whether that one is set
but, anyway, there's certainly *something*....)