Language "categories" for localechooser

Depending on various conditions the installer is run, some languages
may or may not be displayed.

Currently, we have two sets of languages: those who can happily run
without a working framebuffer environment ("Latin1" languages) and
those who need it to get a correct display.

Actually, this is not enough and I currently see four different
possible environments:

0=ASCII-only environments: D-I on terminals that can only display ASCII text
                           and for which even characters above 127 are a
                           problem, whichever charset they use

1=Latin1-only env.       : D-I on terminals that can only display Latin1
                           characters properly. Mostly VGA and similar
                           terminals without framebuffer

2=Text FB environments   : D-I on terminals that are OK with the text
                           framebuffer environment we try using by
                           default on i386, powerpc, ia64...

3=Graphical environments : D-I using the GTK graphical installer

In ASCII-only we can only display English and maybe some very rare
languages (actually, I think that maybe Basque, Tagalog and Malagasy
fall into this, besides English)

In latin1 environments, we can add to this list most Western European
languages, plus Finnish, Estonian, etc. Everything that can be written
with the ISO-Latin 1 charset

In text FB environments, we add all languages that do not need special
combining stuff, which is not handled by slang et al. This covers all
languages we had in Sarge. Languages without their characters in
bterm-unifont can also fall in this category, temporarily.

In graphical environments, we add languages which require special
processing or only have fonts that can be handled in graphical
environments. Most languages from India, as well as Thai, Burmese and
so on fall there. Georgian as well because it has no character in
bterm-unifont.

What I need now is a way to properly "recognize" the environment in
localechooser.

debian-installer/framebuffer allow me to draw the line between 0+1 and
2+3

DEBIAN_FRONTEND allows drawing the line between 0+1+2 and 3

What about the line between 0 and 1?

I first imagined using DEBIAN_FRONTEND=text by assuming that using
this crippled way to install probably means that one doesn't have a
very display-friendly environment (s390 for instance).

Suggestions?