Re: why is aptitude so slow? scrolling etc

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 07:41:35PM +0200, Miernik wrote:
> > Why is aptitude so slow? I mean even moving the bar up and down is
> > slower than I can press the arrow key on a pentium 166 machine, in all
> > other textmode software its bleeding fast, like in mutt, midnight
> > commander, tin, ELinks, why is aptitude so slow?
>
> How much ram do you have?  On my 486/66 with 48M ram, aptitude is pretty
> responsive, if you don't mind waiting a few minutes for it to load all
> the data into memory.  It is a rather large c++ program and it does
> allocate a lot of package data at startup.  If you don't have much ram
> it will be rather painful since it is likely swapping then.

I have 256 MB RAM, and aptitude doesn't swap. Anyway in top I see that
memory usage is not the problem. It's the CPU usage.

For example moving the bar up and down is very slow - I can press the
arrow faster than it can move, which shouldn't be the case.

--
Miernik             _________________________  xmpp:miernik@amessage.info