Re: why is aptitude so slow? scrolling etc

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 07:41:35PM +0200, Miernik wrote:
> Why is aptitude so slow? I mean even moving the bar up and down is
> slower than I can press the arrow key on a pentium 166 machine, in all
> other textmode software its bleeding fast, like in mutt, midnight
> commander, tin, ELinks, why is aptitude so slow?

How much ram do you have?  On my 486/66 with 48M ram, aptitude is pretty
responsive, if you don't mind waiting a few minutes for it to load all
the data into memory.  It is a rather large c++ program and it does
allocate a lot of package data at startup.  If you don't have much ram
it will be rather painful since it is likely swapping then.

Len Sorensen